Friday, July 10, 2009

Draw Me Near

I am doing a bible study with my mom and two sister-in-laws right now. It's a study written by Nancy Douglas called Draw Me Near. It has truly been the most amazing bible study I've done in years. I grew up in a Christian home and I've done regular bible studies throughout my life (with a big gap in the middle...but that's for another post someday). However, I have to say that God has opened my eyes and heart more in this study than any other study I can remember. Not to minimize this bible study, but it could be that God prepared my heart knowing I'd be delving into this study of His word. So, He had me at the right time and place to hear these words of conviction. And, of course the conviction that God gave Nancy when she wrote this study. :)

It's sad how easily we get caught up in the rut of life...thinking we are doing okay. I go to church, I pray at meals and bedtime, I teach my children bible stories, I know where my bible is, I tithe regularly, I support missionaries, I pray for friends and family and even enemies occasionally, I can quote bible verses and perhaps I even volunteer at my church. Sounds good, right? Sounds better than a lot of people you can think of, right? I'm saved...going to heaven and not hell because I accepted Christ as my Lord and Savior when I was ten and meant it. I'm doing okay. I'm doing good. Status quo is gravy.

However, this study has really opened my eyes to seeing how easily I can get complacent with my spiritual walk. I get lazy in my daily bible readings or prayer time. I get bogged down in my "real life" to focus too much on God. I've got other things that I "need" to spend my time and energy on. All the while, ignoring the One who created me in His image. Who longs for me to turn to Him in every aspect of my life. Who patiently waits for me to realize how much I do need Him and that I truly do desire to be close to Him. God is such an amazing God. I am so unworthy of His perfect love and grace, yet in His perfect will, He continues to Draw Me Near.

Hallelujah! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment