Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Novel idea...

I find myself getting so busy with my day-to-day life of being a stay-at-home mom that I sometimes forget the real reason that I am staying home...to be with my kids. To raise them up in a godly home, to train them up the way the Bible instructs, to impart godly characteristics and wisdom into their little minds, to love them and be patient with them unconditionally and to reflect Christ's love to them at all times. Wow! Sounds like a huge job and IT IS! But, thankfully, because this is God's charge to me...He will give me the insight, the strength, the wisdom, the courage and the perseverance to work at this job everyday. To try, try again! His mercies are new every morning and He extends His grace to me every time I ask (and even when I don't ask but need to)! My kiddos are not perfect or even close to it. I am not perfect or close to it. I struggle every day...many times a day with:

  1. impatience and pride
  2. being curt and demanding
  3. not taking the time to listen to my 5 year olds looooong story about why he needed to hit his sister
  4. expecting my 2 year old to not spill her drink 6 times a day
  5. allowing the "house work" to rob me of my joy of being with my kids
My list of internal struggles could go on and on, but I don't have to dwell on those. I don't have to beat myself up over my mistakes or bad choices. God doesn't beat me up over my sins. He welcomes me with open arms as I draw near to Him. He restores my soul. He builds me up with whispers of encouragement as I lean on Him for strength and wisdom. Hallelujah!

Today, I asked my kids what they wanted to do this morning. I haven't asked them this question in awhile. Normally, I pick what we do based on what chores I need to complete or lessons that need to be taught. However, today I felt a prompting in my spirit to ask them what THEY wanted to do. My son's obvious answer to anyone who knows him was to go play in the backyard with the soccer ball...together. So, that's what we did. :)

2 comments:

  1. wow - thank you so much for this post - I found your blog from another regarding CVS and couponing, and THIS is what I needed to read today! I think I have been running my kiddos ragged with "my" plans. May God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just came by to re-read some of your recipes, this sweet post about staying home with your kiddos, and to feel close to my friend...

    ReplyDelete